Ingredients for Spelt Crust:
1.5 cups wholemeal Spelt Flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 tsp baking powder (the recipe asked for self raising spelt flour, and I only had plain spelt flour. Adding 2 tsp baking powder per cup of plain flour makes it self raising)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup boiling water
- Place the flour, sea salt and baking powder into a large bowl and mix.
- Use your fingers to rub the oil into the flour, until the mixture resembles something like fine bread crumbs, as below.
- Then you gradually stir in the 1/3 cup boiling water, until the mixture forms a dough. I had to use a wee bit more than 1/3 cup because my mixture was a bit dry, so see how you go and adjust as necessary.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and need it until it comes together and is smooth.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll out with a rolling pin until it is abut 3 to 4mm thick.
- Now carefully lower your pastry into a 9 inch round pie dish, trim any excess off and set the dish aside.
1 tbsp macadamia oil for frying
1 small brown onion, diced finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 green capsicum (recipe said red, but I have an abundance of green)
4 button mushrooms, finely chopped
400gm tin organic chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 small carrot, grated
1 small zuchini, diced
1 tbsp vegetable stock
400gm tin organic red beans (the recipe said brown lentils, but you guessed it, I had red beans in the cupboard)
2 tbsp chia seeds (recipe called for 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, but I used chia seeds for thickening instead)
To make the filling you heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok, I like to use the wok because I am a messy cook and it gives me more room to splash around in. Add in the onion, garlic and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes over medium to low heat or until the onion softens.
Next add in the mushroom, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add in the tin of tomatoes, the tomato paste and 3/4 cup of water. Bring this to the boil and then reduce the heat. Add in the carrot, zucchini, stock powder, red beans and chia seeds, allowing it to simmer uncovered for approximately 10 minutes, or until it thickens up nicely.
Ingredients for potato topping:
3 large all purpose potatoes (you could also use sweet potato and suede)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp almond milk (or oat milk)
1 tbsp olive oil
paprika for sprinkling on top.
Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain them well, and then mash together with the almond milk, olive oil and salt until smooth.
Spoon the red bean filling into the prepared pastry, as above. Then layer your mashed potato over the top and sprinkle with paprika, as follows.
Once your wait is over, all you have to do is cut and enjoy :) And be careful, it is hot!
Love and Light,